Call Us (229) 515-8585

Summertime, fun time … that is until you are traveling and something bad happens, like a car accident, bicycle injury, or serious fall on the slick floor of a resort. If you are traveling out of state, you might be concerned about medical bills, vehicle repairs, or other large expenses caused by the incident in addition to worrying over your or your loved one’s medical condition. 

First Steps

While you might be in a different state, you should still take the same steps for care as you would at home. Here are some tips for dealing with an out-of-state accident:

  • Call 911 – Depending on the type and severity of the accident, you may need emergency care or assistance from the police. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention because you are in a different state. Your first concern should be taking care of you and your loved ones.
  • Notify your insurance company – Just as you would if you were in an accident in Georgia, call your insurer to report the incident. If you purchased trip insurance, you’ll also want to notify that insurance company.
  • Collect necessary information – If you were in an auto accident, be sure to get the other driver’s insurance information as well as the data from their driver’s license. The easiest way to do this is to take a photo of both the front and back of the other driver’s insurance card and license. It’s a good idea to ask the driver for their contact information, as sometimes the license data isn’t the most recent. Also make note of the vehicle’s license plate number, make, and model. Remember, the driver may not be the owner of the car or may use a different name than their legal name.
  • Gather evidence – If you were in an auto accident, it’s important to get a police report. If the accident is not car-related and occurred at or inside a locale such as a restaurant or resort, make sure to get a copy of the establishment’s incident report. It’s also important to gather your own evidence. If you were in an auto accident, take photos of the car you were driving, the other car, and any hazards in the area. If you fell down the stairs or slipped on a wet dining room floor, take photos of anything that may have caused the accident. Get the names and contact information for any witnesses. And as soon as you are able, write down all details related to the accident.
  • Keep records of any expenses – Keep all receipts, discharge papers, repair bills, estimates, copies of extra charges from the rental car company, hotel bills, and any other documentation related to medical care, vehicle repair, or other expenses incurred as a result of your accident. You may have to extend your stay due to the accident, resulting in extra accommodation, food, and travel expenses.

Seeking Restitution for Out-of-State Injury 

Your insurer’s claims process for out-of-state accidents and injuries should be similar to that for care or repair in state. You might be required to fill out additional forms, but most insurers are familiar and helpful with vacation claims.

If you are considering a personal injury lawsuit, it’s a bit more complex. Different states have different laws that affect where, whether, and how you seek compensation. Also, if you contracted with a tour company or cruise line, that contract could impact the location and method in which you can file suit or seek compensation. The best course of action is to first contact a Georgia personal injury attorney who can evaluate your case and provide advice on next steps. Most attorneys have relationships with lawyers in other states and can bring in local counsel if necessary.

Contact an Experienced Accident Attorney at The King Firm

If you or someone you love was injured in an accident while on vacation in another state, we can help you seek compensation for your injuries and any property damage. Furthermore, JL King is licensed in both Florida and Georgia, so if your accident occurred in Florida, we can represent you there as well. At The King Firm, our team has the experience and knowledge necessary to pursue the best possible results for your case. Contact us today at 229-515-8585 for a free case consultation.

Call Now Button