Auto Accident Do’s & Don’ts
Insight From South Georgia Car Accident Lawyers
As a driver, you do your best to stay safe on the road. You wear your seat belt, you watch for negligent drivers, and you take care to obey traffic laws. Sometimes though, it’s just not enough. While you can avoid dangerous driving behaviors such as drinking and driving and texting while driving, you cannot control what other drivers do.
Traffic accidents are the leading cause of accidental injury in the United States. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics from 2015, more than 2.4 million people were injured in motor vehicle accidents across the U.S. If the day should come that you are involved in a car accident, it is best to know what you should and shouldn’t do so you can protect your right to compensation.
At The King Firm, we have successfully recovered millions in verdicts and settlements for our clients. Not only are we skilled trial lawyers, but we have a former insurance defense attorney on our team.
If you are involved in an auto accident, we recommend that you do the following:
- Do see if anyone was hurt. You must see if anyone was hurt, and if so, call an ambulance. If you panic and drive off, you could face criminal charges for fleeing the scene of an accident.
- Do gather evidence at the scene. Take pictures of the vehicle damage, skid marks, weather conditions, and anything else that is relevant. This may help you build a strong case.
- Do file a police report. Call the police and have them file an accident report. This will help facilitate the claims process. Be sure to get your own copy of the accident report.
- Do call your own insurance company and report the accident. In order to protect your rights, you must notify your insurance carrier as soon as possible. Failure to notify your insurance carrier could void certain types of coverage.
- Do seek medical treatment for your injuries. Do go to the hospital, urgent care, or your family doctor to receive treatment for your injuries. Delays in seeking medical care can be used against you.
- Do call The King Firm for representation. Contact a South Georgia car accident lawyer at our firm for legal representation. Insurance companies may do anything to deny or devalue claims. Results matter: Let us pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Do not admit fault. Whatever you do, do not admit fault. Not to the other driver, not to the police, and not to any insurance company. If you say “sorry” or accept the blame, this may be used against you during the claims process.
- Do not avoid the doctor if you are in pain. If you are in pain, be sure to visit the doctor right away, and make sure it is documented. If you have a gap in medical care, the insurance company can use this against you and argue that you weren’t really hurt. If you are seriously hurt, waiting months between visits may make it look like you either were not hurt, or something else after the accident caused your injury.
- If you have health insurance, do not let a chiropractor treat you on a lien. If you are insured, use your health insurance and see doctors and chiropractors in your group. It does not make sense to pay a chiropractor out of your settlement when your health insurance will cover it.
- Do not handle your claim alone. Do not assume that you will get more money by handling your claim alone. Insurance companies know what you don’t know, and this will hurt you. Once you hire an auto accident attorney, you are leveling the playing field and your chances of receiving a fair settlement are far greater than if you decide to go it alone.
- Do not believe what the insurance company tells you. Whether you are dealing with the at-fault driver’s insurance company or your own insurance carrier, do not believe everything you hear. They are in the business of making profits, and they may readily undervalue your claim or say that their offer is “final.” It’s what they do. Hire your own attorney, and let your lawyer deal with the insurance company on your behalf.
Call a South Georgia Car Accident Attorney at (229) 515-8585
At The King Firm, we offer free auto accident consultations, and we take most cases on a contingency fee basis. That means we don’t charge you a dime unless we win your case. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by contacting us and finding out what we can do for you.
Contact our firm at (229) 515-8585 today.
Get Started with a Free Initial Consultation
Contact us today for a free consultation. Our contingency fee pay structure means you won’t pay fees until you receive the compensation you deserve.